John Graves Simcoe to Towne [1780s]

Wolford Lodge, March 3d 1780

My dear Sir

Nothing but the rheumatism prevented me from fulfilling my Intention of seeing you in Exeter before you left the Country, & of personally solliciting the favour which I now do by letter: it is in consequence of a request from a Friend of mine at Capel in Germany, at a leisure Time, to let me know the Price of the undermentioned Prints: I think I lately saw Mrs Ryland advertize that she had the Scarce ones for sale. - I deferred giving you the trouble, till I was certainly determin’d not to visit the Capital this Winter and I flatter myself that you will pardon the liberty I take in this Request. The Prints are The Battle of the Hogue, the Boyne, & the Death of Genl Wolfe, & Orpheus & Eurydice, Jupiter & Calisto engraved by Burke à la manière de Crayon. My wife joins me in best Compts to you. At my request she has drawn the landscape & attempted to draw Brutus in his appeal to the Gods against the perfidy of Antony as described in Plutarch but she wants your Assistance to assure her in her attempts. At all times we shall be happy to see you & I am with great esteem

Your faithful &
J Graves Simcoe

I have sent you a draft on Lisle Street as more convenient to what I apprehend is your Residence

No comments: