[side one, left]
To / James White Esqr.
North Street
Exeter
[side one, right]
[N]o31, Devonshire Street
[...]6 Portland Place
London.
My D[ear ?Friend]
[...................................]d by this time that you
& Miss [Podger a]rrived, & I hope safe & well,
the ackn[owledgeme]nt of the pleasure I had on
Tuesday, [?will be al]ways in my mind, & the [...]
weather w[as...] the enjoyment perfect,
the next day [& t]he following was bad & great
quantity of Rac[...], I got to Hounslow after [?and]
parted in good [t]ime, & set off directly, the driver
I had set out at a furious rate & continued
it some distance, & whether it was owing to
that, or to any sudden jolt, I found a diffi
culty in making water, indeed I had a little
between Salt Hill & Hounslow, but when I
came into Hyde Park, I could not make any,
after arriving at my House, I took a little walk
eat my supper, & went to bed, but not the
least sleep, & the most excuciating pain
I ever felt in my life the whole night.
[side two, left]
Early in the morning [.......] Mr Gilder, who
sent me some medice[n ..........]ock came with
a Gentleman who is [.............] foot Guards,
who has an[..................................] intends
& must have had gre[..................] with the
Catheter drew the urine [.......bla]dder, which
eased me from the pain [........] & at night, he
did the same & I shall [.........]ght of it, this
morning he has repeated it [....] is coagulated
blood as there is an obstru[cti]on at the neck of
the bladder, which seems to have had some
injury, whether from any sudden jolt there
is no saying, but I remember the driver as
I have said before setting off at such a rate, tho'
at the time I do not remember to have felt any
thing, I keep myself quiet & drink only Barley
Water, & take my medicens generally every
three hours, I thought I should do right in not
keeping this from your knowledge, at the
time I am writing this the weather seems
[side two, right]
To be gettin[g...............] will remember me
most kin[dly to Miss P]odger, & tell her how
much [..............................]d to her for the
goo[d......................sh]e gave me in regard to
my [.........?plea]sure of her company during
[.........................]London, & now believe me
when [.............]st affectionately your
sincere [........]
Francis Towne
Mr Carr who has been sitting with me
& is just go[n]e, desires his Compliments
to you & Miss Podger.
Towne to James White [6 July 1816]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment