Towne to Ozias Humphry, 23 Nov 1803

Exeter
Novr. 23. 1803

My dear Friend

I had your letter this morning just as I was ['painting' crossed out] sitting down to paint on a picture, I shall bring to London with me when I come, which may be about Christmas or a little ['later' crossed out] after, I could not sleep till I had done myself the pleasure of writing you an answer. Give me leave to return you my thanks for your vote at the election of associates and for your friendship which you have shown me, but you call me a provincial drawing master!! ['provincial drawing master!!' underlined] you will permit me in answer to this to give some account of myself, at fourteen years of age I began to paint in oil, before I was twenty I had the premium for the best drawing of landscape, at the Arts and Sciences after that I set out in the great World, & painted several views from drawings after nature, and some of these pictures were of a large size, I was an Exhibitor at an early period, and if I had gone over to those of my friends who had joined the party which afterwards formed the Royal Academy I might at that time been one of them after this Sir Wm Chambers who had said some handsome things of my pictures said I should have his vote to become a member of that body, this he told a particular friend of mine, after this time I went to Italy, its now twenty two ['two' inserted from above] years since my return to England

I had yearly Lodgings in London, Piccadilly and in St James' Street for six or seven years & London was then my home, After that I rented by the year, apartments in Leicester Square for near seven years, at both of these I lived from the month of February, to August, and sometimes to the end of October before I went out of Town (I hope you will allow a Landscape painter to see nature sometime in the year) London is now my only home, I have only a Lodging by the Week in Exeter, as long as I stay.

Therefore if any person but yourself were to direct or call me a Drawing Master I should tell them that my profession is that of a landscape painter, I beg leave to make another Observation that is I never in my life Exhibited a Drawing ['Exhibited' and 'Drawing' underlined]

I called on twenty nine of the Academicians and the answer I had at the houses of those whom I did not see, was that they were gone into the country, for three & two of them for six months, so I find they do business in the country as well as London.

I never asked a Favour of any man in my life and after what I have troubled you with in the short account of myself, you must give up calling me a provincial Drawing Master ['provincial Drawing Master' underlined].

I never meant not intended to go through life but professing myself a Landscape Painter ['Landscape Painter' underlined].

I know very well what is going forward with Artists in London, I have the satisfaction know that I have as many material.... My profession as any artist, my past.... And present Industry, is one of the great.... I have to say of myself, as a professional Man. I should not have troubled you with talking of myself, but that I confide in your wishes for my welfare, and success, having come to the end of my paper I will now conclude by wishing you health and happiness remaining

Yr most truly

Francis Towne

P.S. I will thank you the first time you see....

No comments: